Haven at Sweet Applewood at a Glance
- Haven at Sweet Applewood is a ground up new construction of two buildings totaling 30,700 square feet resulting in a 48-bed Community Based Residential Facility (CBRF) in Cudahy, WI. The buildings are being constructed in two phases. Phase 1 is expected to be completed in May 2015 and Phase 2 in August 2016.
- Removal of 62,000 cubic yards of contaminated soil.
- Expecting 41 construction jobs.
- Creation of 17 full time equivalent positions in the medical/healthcare industry.
- Anticipated $3.8 million in tax increment.
- Rejuvenation of blighted, brownfield to taxable, usable space.
- J. Jeffers & Co Role: Developer.
- Financial Participants: Harris Bank, Community Development Authority (CDA) of the City of Cudahy, and Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation (WEDC).
Simple construction on a complicated site. The 2-acre brownfield site selected for Haven at Sweet Applewood presents three primary challenges. First, it requires close collaboration with the Wisconsin DNR and the Community Development Authority (CDA) of the City of Cudahy to ensure proper site clean-up. In addition, foundations and debris from a former industrial building buried below the surface necessitate an added degree of structural engineering for the slabs and footings of the new buildings. Finally, due to high site utilization and proximity to General Mitchell International Airport, the project team needed to design a complex underground stormwater retention system.
As a result of these efforts, the site will substantially contribute to the CDA’s urban planning and economic development objectives. The remediated site will facilitate a complementary use within the overall neighborhood. The new buildings will offer an urban design aesthetic that references the Friends of Cudahy Library, located across the street from Haven at Sweet Applewood. The new development is projected to add $3.8 million in incremental assessed value to the municipal tax base, and create 41 construction jobs and 17 permanent jobs upon completion of both phases.
Click here to learn about residential life and availability of space at Haven at Sweet Applewood.
Haven at Sweet Applewood
3460 E Barnard Ave.
Cudahy, WI 53110
Ground Breaking: July 2014
Completed: May 2015 (Expected)
Project Architect & Engineer
TDI Associates, Inc.